Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My Mom's Chocolate Satin Icing.

My mother clipped this recipe from The Chattanooga Times years ago; it's still in a notebook in her kitchen. She liked it so much, I don't remember her ever using another chocolate icing on cakes. It really is both delicious and beautiful. I don't know if it's coincidental or not, but every time I enter something in a fair with this icing, I bring home a ribbon.
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Add beaten egg and stir vigorously. Stir in powdered sugar, beat with wire whisk or electric beater. Remove from heat, mix in vanilla and lemon juice, then beat with electric beater or wire whisk until thickened. Pour over cooled cake and allow to drip down sides. Great on layer cakes, bundt cakes and brownies.

3 comments:

donnadb said...

Your mom took the Times? We were a News Free-Press family. I hear they merged several years ago.

Your pound cake looks incredible. How can you post recipes that cause weight gain just by reading them, and keep losing weight yourself?!

Doc Thelma said...

I think the Times suited my parents' politics better :)
I am a bit heavy on desserts, arent' I. See the black bean salad recipe for an antidote.

SugarChefBaker said...

How much Lemon Juice does the recipe use? It was not listed....Thanks so much :)