Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Double Chip Pound Cake


Glazed with my mom's special chocolate icing, this cake won the 2007 Pound Cake Contest at the Albemarle County Fair. I combined a from-scratch recipe from a friend's grandmother with the German chocolate and chips from a mix-based cake recipe I got from my aunt and member of my moms' email list.
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 eggs*
  • 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 bar German chocolate, grated
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
*Original recipe called for 4, contest requirements called for 6. I used 6 medium eggs with success.
Grease and flour Bundt cake or tube pan. Toss 1/4 cup flour with chocolate and butterscotch chips until coated. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix together remaining flour, baking powder, salt and grated chocolate. Slowly add to creamed mixture, stir just until blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into pan and bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool at least ½ hour in pan, then invert onto serving plate.

No comments: