Saturday, November 23, 2013

Layered pumpkin cheesecake

Pumpkin pie is one of those things I feel I have to serve at holiday meals, but a little goes a long way.  If I have one piece between November 15th and New Years, I am set for the season, and whenever I make it, it never gets finished. Having had my seasonal piece at my school's Thanksgiving lunch last week, I decided to try something different this year.

Crust:
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter
Combine sugar and crumbs, gradually mix in butter.  Press into bottom and up sides of springform pan; bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Cool.

Cake:
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 packets cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons flour
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla.
  • 2 eggs
Mix pumpkin, brown sugar and spices, set aside. Soften cream cheese in microwave, then beat in sugar, sour cream, sugar, vanilla and flour until smooth. Add eggs and beat just until well-blended. Divide batter in half, pour one half into cooled crust. Mix pumpkin mixture into remaining batter, pour over first layer.  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until mostly set but still a bit jiggly in center. Cool, then refrigerate overnight.

No comments: